[KS] Animals in Korean myth, folklore, and religions

David Mason mntnwolf at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 06:07:25 EDT 2006

Barbara Ambros,
Try these:

Folk Tales from Korea
Jeong Inseop
Hollym  2005

Myths and Legends from Korea
James H. Grayson
Curzon   2001

Spirit of the Mountains
(discusses Tigers and other animals in Korean
 folk-art, especially Mountain-spirits, many photos)
David Mason        Hollym  1999

Guardians of Happiness
(discusses Tigers and other animals in Korean
 shamanic folk-art, many photos)   Zo Zayong
Emille Museum    1982

To obtain the last two of these books, see my website:
http://www.san-shin.org

--- bambros at email.unc.edu wrote:
> I am designing an undergraduate course on animals
> in East Asian myth, folklore, and religions.  I
> found plenty of materials on China and Japan, but
> I'm having trouble finding sources on Korea.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?  Since it is an
> undergraduate course, the
> readings would have to be in English.
>
> Thanks,
> Barbara Ambros
> bambros at email.unc.edu

David A. Mason
Professor of Korean Tourism, KyungHee University
Office #710, College of Hotel and Tourism Management
http://www.san-shin.org
Phone: 02-961-0852    Mobile: 011-9743-9753