[KS] Yu Kilchun

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at ikos.uio.no
Sat May 13 11:19:24 EDT 2006

If we are to continue to explore an interesting issue of how Poland was
(mis)understood by the Korean intellectuals in the beginning of the 20th
C. - the picture "Korean voices" paint, is indeed fascinating. Before
1910, the books like the one by Shibue twice translated by Korea's
"enlightenment thinkers", mostly explained Poland's demise by the
"internal wrangling", "the lack of unity among the rulers and between
the rulers and the ruled"  - and that was perfectly acceptable for a
collectivist Social Darwinist mindset, which viewed elimination of the
weak by the strong as a cosmic law, and all sorts of internal
contradictions and struggles - as a "threat to the state survival". In
fact, this imperialist "blame the victim" paradigm was applied by
Korea's "modernity pioneers" to other places as well - in his seminal
"HUnghaksOl" (Treatise on how to develop the learning), Pak Unsik, for
example, explained the colonization of India as a consequence of its
"failure to reform its customs", and semi-colonial conditions in Persia
- as a consequence of "brutal Muslim customs, which led to the
degradation of the humanities". Interestingly, the "success" of Prussia
in crushing France in 1870-71 was explained by the universal literacy of
its conscript army, which greatly improved its skills, and by the
"patriotic self-sacrificial spirit" of the Prussian officers. This sort
of logic was very good for those, who, unlike Pak Unsik, himself, were
going to collaborate with the Japanese colonizers - if Korea's demise
was also grounded in its "accumulated evils and internal weaknesses",
then, collaboration could look almost inescapable. But in the 1920s,
after Poland did achieve what Korean nationalists were dreaming of, and
became an independent nation-state, the tone changed - and in the first
issue of Sin Ch'aeho's journal, <Ch'On'go> (1921), you have an article
entitled "P'aran Kwangbok chi yaksa" (A Brief history of Polish
liberation), which explains "Polish success" - in terms of patriotism,
educational achievements, and development of local democracy. Poland was
indeed a popular topic for Korea's newspapers and journals in the
1920-30s - <Quo vadis> being even serialized in <Maeil Sinpo>.

Vladimir (Pak Noja)

--
Vladimir Tikhonov,
Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages,

http://www.geocities.com/volodyatikhonov/volodyatikhonov.html
Electronic classrooms: East Asian/Korean Society and Politics:
                        http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/eastasianstudies.htm
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2002/main.html
                        East Asian/Korean Religion and Philosophy:

http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2003/classroom.html