[KS] The house in Noryangjin: Thank you!

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 5 21:33:10 EDT 2006

Dear KS List members:

We are dealing with this off-list, but I just wanted to put my thanks to
Professor Lee on record, for all his help with finding this house.  I can
hardly believe the good fortune that someone with his interest in historical
homes lives in the same neighbourhood!

Professor Lee has pointed out off-list that until a few years ago, there
were were actually many Japanese-era homes on lot 205 at one time.  The
house Ken Kaliher found (and thanks also to Ken again for your help) may or
may not be where Mr. Nomura's house used to stand, so the mystery is still
unfolding.  I will let the List know if there are any dramatic new
developments, or more interesting tales from the past.

Yours sincerely,
Stefan Ewing

>From: ÀÌ»ó¾ï <sangoak at snu.ac.kr>
>To: Korean Studies Discussion List <koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws>
>CC: sa_ewing at hotmail.com
>Subject: Re: [KS] The house in Noryangjin: Thank you!
>Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 15:09:37 +0900 (KST)
>
>Dear Ken and Stefan,
>After receiving a notice of Peace Corps meeting, I remind of you, Ken. Then
>read these
>correspondences between you and Stefan with great interest since I have
>lived
>in 205-37 Noryangjin for ten years.
>Ken's field work is very well done. 205-35 is just two buildings away from
>our villa.
>I visited that house yesterday and also found it will be demolished before
>the end of this month. However, it is too early to disappoint since we are
>not
>sure whether 205-35 is Nomura's place or not. We have to find out exact
>'ho-su' 205-?? for his residence.
>I also phoned the
>local office where they keep old documents in order to find some traces of
>Nomura's residence. They said they might have some but this week is Chuseok
>and
>advised to visit the office in the next week.
>If Esther still wants to visit this area, there is one remaining
>building in old Japanese style although renovated into a Buddhistic temple
>inside. This Bokwangsa is three buildings away from my house.
>After visiting the office I will let you know the further development.
>Best,
>Sang-Oak Lee
>Seoul National Univ.

Ready for the world's first international mobile film festival celebrating
the creative potential of today's youth? Check out Mobile Jam Fest for your
a chance to WIN $10,000! www.mobilejamfest.com