[KS] About Park Ryol

Frank Hoffmann frank at koreaweb.ws
Wed Sep 13 08:28:09 EDT 2006

Post Scriptum to my last post:

Actually, after posting last, I did realize that
there is a booklet by Pak Yôl from 1948 -- in
Japanese. (I had forgotten about it, never saw
the full text, sorry!) In 1989 this was published
in Korean translation by Pômu-sa in Seoul under
the title _Sin Chosôn hyôngmyôngnon_. The first
two chapters are also reproduced in another
relative recent book about Pak: Kim Sam-ung, _Pak
Yôl p'yôngjôn_ (Seoul: Karam Kihoek, 1996), pp.
250-288. This same book, the one by Kim Sam-ung,
also reproduces a Korean translation of his
prison poems and his statements in relation to
the trial.
Other than Kaneko Fumiko's text this is all very
ideological, with very pathetic and patriotic
overtones, not too different from what we know
from Communists propaganda texts -- basically
just exchanging Communism with anarchism, without
talking about actual anarchist thought ... really
just using the terminology. This is again a
characteristic of Korean anarchism in general,
both during the colonial period and afterwards --
that nationalism (which anarchism rejects) is so
overwhelmingly there in the minds of Korean
anarchists, that we can say that this is just
another political/ideological construct that has
been instrumentalised for the sake of Korean
nationalism. One British anarchist who
participated in one of the international
conferences organized by Ha Ki-rak around 1990
wrote a long article about the Korean anarchists
and how shocked he was that they would actually
call themselves anarchists.

Best,
Frank