[KS] Origin of Fan Death?

Stephen Epstein Stephen.Epstein at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Sep 14 12:39:49 EDT 2006

Dear all,

Aidan's remark that we can all effectively practice internet-based self-reliance reminds me of a query for which my own attempt at Google juche would still benefit from the assistance of like-minded comrades. As anyone who has spent time in South Korea in the summer knows, there are few things more dangerous than sleeping with the fan on, which can (of course) lead to death. Now, almost everyone from outside Korea, including neighboring countries such as Japan and China, scoffs at this is nonsense, but this urban legend of sorts is remarkably persisent here and is believed by otherwise rational people, including medical professionals; the media run stories every summer that detail incidents of people who have died during the night beside a fan that was left running.

Can anybody shed light on precisely how and when this story came about? Is it indeed localized to South Korea? Although electric fans may not be especially widespread in North Korea, the story could be present there if it predated division (what about ChosOnjok?...). I've included a few relevant URLs, including a piece that notes such stories appearing in the Joongang Ilbo as early as 1973, but I'm still looking for more exact information.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200609/kt2006091017514911980.htm

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a970912.html <http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a970912.html>

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/200409/22/200409222123324579900091009101.html

http://www.rfa.org/korean/defector_corner/kim_kihyuk/2006/08/15/home_appliances/

Yours, having slept with the fan on just a few nights ago and living to tell the tale,

Stephen