[KS] Origin of Fan Death?

i_heinz fenkl fenkli at newpaltz.edu
Fri Sep 15 00:03:16 EDT 2006

Hi, Stephen,

I was planning on writing a piece of fiction about this phenom, attributing
the cause of death to "aetheric hypothermia," but I've not gotten around to
it.

I don't know the original source of this myth, but it's been around since at
least the mid-60s, since I recall stern warnings about the fan from when I was
a child.

You might look into folk beliefs regarding night air also.

My theory is that the "fan death" belief is a useful and cautionary
amplification of beliefs regarding qi. As martial arts practitioners know, it
is not a good idea to practice Taiqi or Qigong with one's feet in the water or
in a strong wind. Both of these are drains on one's qi. In the post war years,
it would have been pragmatic for the govt to reduce electrical consumption by
encouraging this myth.

I NEVER sleep with a fan or AC blowing on me. Not b/c I'm afraid to die, but I
wouldn't want my delicate spirit detatching from my corporeal self!

Cheers,
Heinz Insu Fenkl