[KS] Establishing the names of obscure rural villages

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 10 16:14:11 EDT 2007

Dear Frank:

(I am replying on-list to bring various web resources to readers' attention
and so anyone can catch and correct any errors I make.  The Han'gu^l below
should be visible in Unicode UTF-8 encoding in Firefox, but it appears to be
broken in Internet Explorer.  Yale renderings are added, and a UTF-8-encoded
.txt file is attached, containing the relevant place names in Han'gu^l.)

There are various resources for identifying place names or establishing
their romanizations.  In the end, for the five place names that are
administrative units (divisions of u^ps or myo^ns), the Korean Post Office's
online postal code lookup
(http://www.koreapost.go.kr/servlet/kpp.post.PostInfo) turned out to be the
most exhaustive resource, with romanizations (according to the government
system) available on Seoul City's useful "Englishname"
(http://englishname.seoul.go.kr/jsp/index.jsp) site, looked up via their
Han'gu^l spellings.  "Sunlinchon," "Walgilree," and "Oibugnee" required
special treatment, as they do not appear to be administrative units, and so
show up in far fewer places.

For "Sunlinchon", Neither 선린촌 (/Senlinchon/) nor 순린촌
(/Swunlinchon/) yielded anything, but a search in Naver revealed a
선린촌, which is located within Hanam-shi in Kyo^nggi-do
(http://search.naver.com/search.naver?where=nexearch&query=%BC%B1%B8%B0%C3%CC&frm=t1&sm=top_hty),
in which case my best guess for romanization would be Seollin-chon in the SK
system, or So^llin-ch'on in McCune-Reischauer.

On the Post Office site, a search for "Unkyoree" as 언교리 (/Enkyoli/)
turns up nothing, but a search for 운교리 (/Wunkyoli/) yields two places
in Cho^llabuk-do: one in Taesan-myo^n, Namwo^n-shi, and the other in
Paegun-myo^n, Chinan-gun.  A search at Englishname yields "Ungyo-ri" for the
SK romanization (but should it not be "Un-gyo-ri"?--See "Shinkiree" below),
which should be "Un'gyo-ri" for McCune-Reischauer.

"Walgilree" is not to be found at the Post Office site, but according to
Naver, there is a 왈길리 (/Walkilli/) in Taesan-myo^n, Namwo^n-shi
(http://search.naver.com/search.naver?where=nexearch&query=%BF%D0%B1%E6%B8%AE&sm=tab_hty).
  It should be written as Walgil-ri in both romanization systems.

For "Shinkiree," on the Post Office site, there are six 신기리
(/Sinkili/)s in Cho^llabuk-do, in Namwo^n-shi, Puan-gun, Iksan-shi,
Chinan-gun, and two in Imshil-gun.  They are all romanized Sin-gi-ri (SK) at
the Englishname site, or Shin'gi-ri in McC-R.

"Mukhyeunee" would appear to be 묵현리 (/Mukhyenli/, with long /u/)
(searches for other possible variants 묵휸 (/Mukhyun/), 먹현
(/Mekhyen/), and 먹휸 (/Mekhyun/) turned up nothing), which according to
the Post Office is in Hwado-u^p, Namyangju-shi, Kyo^nggi-do.  The government
romanization is Mukhyeon-ri; in McC-R, I believe it should be Mukhyo^n-ri.

I am guessing "Yongbanee" is 용반리 (/Yongpanli/), which according to the
Post Office is in Hu^ngdeok-myo^n, Koch'ang-gun, Cho^llabuk-do.  Its
romanization in both systems is Yongban-ri.

"Doobongnee" spelled as 두봉리 (/Tupongli/) yields the wrong place--in
Cho^llanam-do.  A search for 두복리 (/Tupokli/), however, turns up a
place in Ch'o^ngung-myo^n, Imshil-gun, Cho^llabuk-do.  The SK romanization
is Dubok-ri; the McC-R romanization would be Tubok-ri.

Finally, the doozy that is "Oibugnee" turned up nothing in all its various
possible permutations and combinations (외북리 (/Oypukli/), 오이벅리
(/Oipekli/), etc., etc., etc.) at the Post Office site.  In Naver, however,
I got precisely one hit for 외북리 (/Oypukli/ with long /u/) on a
mountain climber's blog post
(http://blog.naver.com/violetlion?Redirect=Log&logNo=100006789825); in
Google, another hiker had a different article that mentioned the same place
(http://www.cmkplaza.com/info/column/viewbody.html?code=cotour&mb_id=&page=1&number=6&keyfield=&key=).
  According to the latter, the village is located in Mach'o^n-ri,
So^lch'o^n-myo^n, Muju-gun, Cho^llabuk-do, in the vicinity of Samdo-bong,
which is at the meeting point of Ch'ungch'o^ngbuk-do, Cho^llabuk-do, and
Kyo^ngsangbuk-do (hence the name of the peak?).  *If* this is the correct
place (or spelling), then the government romanization should be Oebuk-ri and
the McCune-Reischauer should be the same.

Yours sincerely,
Stefan Ewing

***

Get the Kung Fu Bunny Theme pack free!