[KS] Portuguese during Hideyoshi invasion?

Ernie . recanto at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 11 13:51:42 EDT 2007

Dear Frank,

As you mention, what is sure is that Gregorio de Cespedes y Simancas (born
in Madrid, in 1551), arrived to Korea on December 27th, 1593, and stayed
there with the (catholic) Japanese troops probably until February or March
1597. Park Chul, but also Juan Ruiz de Medina (Origenes de la Iglesia
Catolica Coreana desde 1566 hasta 1784. Institutum Historicum S.I., Roma,
1986), have researched it in detail. I even would add there was another
Spaniard, father Francisco de Laguna, how also, like Cespedes, travelled to
Korea for a couple of months from December 1597 to January 1598 (as it can
be read in Shütte, Josef Franz. Monumenta Historica Japoniae I, Roma, 1975,
and again, in Park Chul or Ruiz de Medina).

Jesuit sources in Japan and Macao in late 16th Century are very efficient in
telling us most of the things they were doing those days, but I haven’t
found any input (neither in the Spanish sources) on some suppose Portuguese
fighting with the Chinese and Koreans against Japanese in 1597, as I
recently read in an article published by Choe Yong-shik in Korea Herald
(¿Korea Times?) on May 26, 2000, mentioning the Annals of the Choson
Kingdom. Could that be true? Is there any English translation where I could
check it?

Thank you

E. de Laurentis