[KS] Place names and family names (very short)

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 11 14:11:40 EDT 2007

Dear Frank and other KS list members:

One other useful resource I forgot to mention is Naver's Hancha address
lookup service (http://hanja.naver.com/hanja.naver?where=post).  This gives
the Hancha forms of all current administrative divisions in the ROK,
organized hierarchically (of course) from Seoul, Busan, etc. and the
Provinces down to dongs (for cities), eups, and myeons.

While I'm on the subject, Naver also offers information on all Korean family
names (http://hanja.naver.com/hanja.naver?where=fname&index=0), organized in
"ganada" order then by _bon-gwan_ (ancestral hometown--what's a suitable
English translation?), down to the level of local (sub-?)clan (e.g., Jeonju
Yi, etc.), with short articles on the historical origins of the larger
clans.  (Is there a set scholarly terminology in English when discussing
Korean family groupings?)

(Used SK government romanization system throughout for consistency's sake.)

Yours,
Stefan Ewing