[KS] Portuguese during Hideyoshi invasion?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Thu Apr 12 15:17:05 EDT 2007

>... as I recently read in an article published
>by Choe Yong-shik in Korea Herald (¿Korea
>Times?) on May 26, 2000, mentioning the Annals
>of the Choson Kingdom. Could that be true? Is
>there any English translation where I could
>check it?

The _Annals of the Chosôn Kingdom_ is a
*multi-volume* work. After all the dynasty
survived for 500 years. It is not translated into
English or any other Western language. It's in
Chinese. There is a full translation into modern
Korean that was published in North Korea. You
would reed to read either Chinese or Korean.

It would be useful if you could give us the link
to the article by Ch'oe Yong-shik -- he is a
respectable historian, and I am sure he found
something to make such claim, and he sure would
also give the date etc. of the entry, so that it
would be possible to find the passage he is
referring to. Then again, even if there is such
an entry, I would not necessarily trust that it
might not be a "historic" mistake since there are
no other such sources indicating some Portuguese
involvement. As you already pointed out, to get
involved would have been against Portuguese
interests at the time.

Frank