[KS] Recent publications

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Fri Aug 3 22:03:16 EDT 2007

1. I have a feeling that there must have been more publications of
English translations of Korean literature in the last 2 years than those
I have seen. Here is my list. PLEASE tell me if I have missed something.
The fact that most of the books are poetry is especially problematic in
the eyes of Korea's cultural authorities, in view of the greater
popularity / significance of fiction in today's world. It's partly my
fault, I fear . . . (List from
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/TranslationList.htm  )

Fiction
2007
I Have the Right to Destroy Myself 김영하 Kim Young-Ha  Trans. Chi-Young
Kim  Harvest Books
Toy City 장난감 도시  이동하 Lee Dong-ha Trans. Chi-Young Kim  Koryo Press

Poetry
2007
Azaleas: A Book of Poems 김소월 Kim So-Wol Trans. David McCann Columbia
University

Fiction
2006
난장이가 쏘아올린 작은 공  The Dwarf 조세희 Cho Se-hui Trans. Bruce and
Ju-Chan Fulton University of Hawai’i Press Modern Korean Fiction
The Dog Thief 임철우 Chul-Woo Lim Trans. Myung-Hee Kim Tamal Vista
마른 꽃 Weathered Blossom 박완서 Park Wan-suh Trans. Yu Youngnan Hollym
(bilingual, illustrated short story series)
봉순이 언니 My Sister Bogsoon 공지영 Gong Ji-yeong Trans.  Park Jung-eun
  Mosaic

Poetry
2006
순간의 꽃  Flowers of a Moment 고은 Ko Un Trans.  Brother Anthony /Kim
Young-Moo /Gary G. Gach BOA Editions
Eyes of Dew 마종기 Chonggi Mah Trans.  Brother Anthony White Pine Press
Journey to Seoul 김광규 Kim Kwang-Kyu Trans. Brother Anthony 답게 DapGae
(Seoul)
Enough to Say It's Far 박재삼 Pak Chaesam Trans. David R. McCann /Jiwon
Shin Princeton University Press
The Three Way Tavern  고은 Ko Un Trans.  Clare You /Richard Silberg U
California Press
Abiding Places, Korea South & North 고은 Ko Un Trans.  Sunny Jung
/Hillel Schwartz Tupelo Press
Anxiety of Words: Contemporary Poetry by Korean Women 최성자 Ch’oe
Sung-ja  김혜순 Kim Hyesoon 이년주 Yi Yon-ju Trans.  Don Mee Choi Zephyr
Press
On an Autumn Night: Classical Korean Poetry in Translation Trans.
Richard Mayer  Seoul: Jiagu
The Book of Korean Poetry: Songs of Shilla and Koryo Trans.  Kevin
O’Rourke University Of Iowa

Prose
2006
날개 없는 새 짝이 되어  My Husband the Poet  목순옥 Mok Sun-ok Trans.
Brother Anthony Seoul Selection

2) Is everyone aware of the big project for (re)translating Korean
classics into English launched fairly recently by the Academy of Korean
Studies? (see http://www.aks.ac.kr/info/siks/ ) the applications are due
from August 28 up to September 10

Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Seoul