[KS] ch'ang jak kukak

kevin at macosx.com kevin at macosx.com
Fri Dec 14 01:26:58 EST 2007

I wonder if there are any folks on this list who are doing, or have
done some work on ch'ang jak kukak. I remember years ago bumping into
folks here in Seoul who were investigating and writing about such
things.  I suddenly find myself having to look into this area and I am
trying to find a path forward and also trying to decide which
musicians/pieces/approaches I might investigate. I am interested in
everything from the barely neo-traditional (some Kim Young-Jae pieces,
for example, seem to spring seamlessly from the existing repertoire)
to hybrids and experimentalists (Kim Jin Hi) and am especially younger
folks (like Won-il). Of course there is Hwang Byoung-gi, Im
Dong-ch'ang and others. Named above are mostly traditional music
musicians who create new pieces drawing on that tradition.

On the other hand are "Composers" who have western art music type
training who integrate elements from traditional music in some way.
These are folks like Yun i sang, Hwang Sung-ho, Young-hi Pagh-pan,
Kang Sukhi and others, including those mentioned in the Babcock
article (Korean Composers in Profile, Tempo 1995).

In any case, I would like to know what else there is and what
scholarship might be under way on the topic.

I would be interest to to have folks point me to works that either
exemplify a specific approach or aesthetic (towards integrating
traditional musical materials or ideas) or just pieces that seems
"successful" or extraordinary in some way.

cheers,

Kevin Parks