[KS] Q regarding defining modernity

Ann Choi aychoi at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Feb 5 11:26:56 EST 2007

Dear list,

I'm working on something which requires some clarification.  Would
appreciate feedback from some of you more knowledgeable than I in this area.
It's on the conservative "early modern" architects' (particularly Ch'oe
NamsOn and Yi Kwangsu) dismissal of ChosOn and praise of Silla as the
site of a willed, nostalgic return.  HyOn Chin'gOn's MuyOngt'ap I think
is an example of this nostalgia for the far, rather than the immediate
past.  My focus at hand is on the sijo revival of the mid 1920s when an
essentially ChosOn literary form was used to critique the cost of
progress and to highlight Silla achievements.  SO ChOngju also glorifies
Silla in his later poetry (not sijo, of course), and I think that this
must be part of the same phenomenon of claiming an ancient past as a way
of offering at most) and perhaps failing to establish) a different
possibility of linear time than the one that these poets and writers
felt to, some extent, fight against and to claim a nuanced legitimacy
for themselves.
Can anyone point me to some secondary sources which might help to flesh
out my ideas?

Much obliged in cold New Jersey,
Ann Choi