[KS] Workshop on Writing Systems and the Linguistic Structure-CIL18

이상억 sangoak at snu.ac.kr
Sun Feb 18 10:51:53 EST 2007

Dear
Colleagues:

As already announced
the 18th International Congress of Linguists (CIL18) will be held on July
21-26,2008 at
Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
In the Congress
worshops of various topics are scheduled. We now officially call for papers for
the workshop on
“Writing Systems
and the Linguistic Structure”.
Please circulate this
announcement among your colleagues in your country. We will appreciate your
help.

With Best
Wishes,

Sang-Oak Lee

Organizer: A workshop on Writing
Systems and the Linguistic Structure, CIL18 Organizing
Committee
Professor,
Department of Korean, College of Humanities, Seoul National University,

Workshop on Writing Systems and the
Linguistic Structure

July 21-26, 2008
Korea
University, Seoul, Republic of Korea

A workshop
on Writing Systems and the
Linguistic Structure
will be held in
conjunction with the 18th International Congress of Linguists (CIL
18).

Organizer:
Sang-Oak Lee
Department of Korean,
College of
Humanities,
Seoul National University,
Seoul 151-742, KOREA
Email:
sangoak at snu.ac.kr
Tel:
82-2-815-7164
Fax 82-2-878-1246

Description
In recent years Coulmas,
Daniel and Bright, Graham, Robinson, Rogers, Sampson,
Sproat
and others wrote books, and the
journal Written Language and Literacy
shows that there has been an upsurge of interest in writing systems.
Modern linguistics
has been afflicted by scriptism, defined as "the tendency of linguists to base
their analyses on writing-induced concepts such as phoneme, word, and sentence,"
while subscribing to the intricate relationship between
written and spoken language. As an interesting case of
successful combination, "the creators of Han'gul wanted it to be a script that
is easy to learn and easy to read. These requirements are met by keeping the
number of basic graphs very low to meet the requirements of the learner and
writer, while creating enough graphic complexity ? in the syllable blocks ? to
meet the reader's requirements for contrast and discernibility."
There are also other complex
topics, such as morphogenesis (the
idea that all writing can be traced back to a single system), orthographic
reform, diglossia
(two coexisting varieties, often with a written/spoken contrast) and digraphia
(the use of different scripts for the one language), and dyslexia.
In
this workshop, however, it may be focused on the question of what constraints,
if any, exist between writing and the linguistic information it encodes.
Substantive questions include:

- What
kinds of formal constraints constrain the mapping between language and writing?

- What effects do properties of writing systems have on conscious (or
unconscious)
knowledge of language among
literate speakers.
- Are properties of scripts and writing systems -- e.g.
such overt properties as script
directionality -- related to
what kind of information is encoded?
These seem to be the
interesting questions in relation to 'Writing Systems and the Linguistic
Structure' but I also encourage papers which do not quite fit this description
but good for widening the scope and contents of workshop toward quite promising
discussion.
Given that writing is not
yet well known even within the linguistic world, I would think that such a
workshop would be quite interesting to many different sorts of linguists, for
example, those on the history of writing,
or on the sociolinguistics or psycholinguistics of writing, but not notation systems used for music and
movement.

Important Dates:
· Deadline for Abstract Submission: May 31, 2007
· Notification of Acceptance/Rejection: August 31,
2007

Submission of
Abstracts:
A three-page abstract including everything should
be sent electronically to both cil18 at cil18.org and sangoak at snu.ac.kr. An MS
Word and/or .pdf file
may be accepted.

For more information, visit the website (http://cil18.org ) or