[KS] Korean female divinities

David Mason mntnwolf at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 21:00:10 EDT 2007

Dear Antonio J. Domenech,

My 1999 book _Spirit Of The Mountains: Korea's San-shin
and Traditions of Mountain-Worship_ contains a fairly
long discussion of female Mountain-Spirit (with several
photos of their icons) and the general issue of the
genders of Mountain-Spirits, in Chapter II.

And then I posted a three page "update" report on
Korea's most prominent female Mountain-Spirit, kind of
a national Matriarch-deity, the Cheonhwang-bong seongmo-
halmae sanshin [Heavenly-King Peak Holy-Matriarch
mountain-spirit], on three pages starting at:
http://www.san-shin.net/Jiri-Seongmo-1.html

Good Luck with your reasearch/writing...
David Mason

--- Antonio José Doménech del Río
<antoniojdomenech at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear members,
> I am currently writing my Ph.D. dissertation in Malaga
> University (Spain) about Korean Women religious prac-
> tices and in particular about the religious practices
> and devotions related to female divine figures.
> I will be very grateful if you have any suggestion
> about the topic or any bibliographic indication you
> think may be relevant for my study.
> Thank you very much and it is a real pleasure to be
> part of this mailing list,
> Antonio J. Domenech

David A. Mason
Professor of Korean Tourism, KyungHee University
Office #710, College of Hotel and Tourism Management
http://www.san-shin.org
Phone: 02-961-0852    Mobile: 011-9743-9753