[KS] Korean female divinities

Baker Don ubcdbaker at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 10 14:09:28 EDT 2007

 The first place to look for female deities would be the folk religion.
Some mountain gods are female rather than male. And there are a number of
female gods and spirits who appear in shaman rituals. You also might want
to look at Kwaneum (who is usually thought of as female in Korea) since she
is important both in Buddhism and in folk religion.

Also, though they are not gods, you might also want to look at the role of
female  martyrs in the Koreran Catholic Church.

Don Baker
Associate Professor,
Department of Asian Studies
Director, Centre for Korean Research