[KS] FRANK_baektueso hannakkaji

Dr. Edward D. Rockstein ed4linda at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 12:18:36 EDT 2007

My dog-eared and soiled old 1965 edition of the Tonga Han-Han Tae-sajo^n indicates that the Chinese characters which comprise 'Halla-san' were originally read 'Hanna-san'.  I can find nothing to indicate that the second character is read 'ra' anywhere else.  The Mandarin pronounciation, according to my rebound Mathews', is 'na2'.  The folk etymology of the characters for Halla-san indicates that the moutain (san) is so high it can touch (na) the milkyway (han = U^nha/Ch'o^nha) whether this came first is questionable, though.  The "na" character generally used in this name is an alternate form of that normally seen in Chinese for 'take'/'grasp'. So the North Korean reading appears accord with the original, Chinese-influenced reading, with the 'Halla' perhaps representing either a southern sound change or perhaps a Cheju dialect influence?  [I asked my co-teacher here, a Cheju native, about the local pronounciation, but he allowed as how it is "Halla-san" and that it accords
 with the standard Seoul influences.]

  Ed Rockstein

                          Dr. Edward D. Rockstein
Korean Language Instructor
Language Learning Center (LLC)
891 Elkridge Landing Road, Rm 301
Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
Office 410-859-5672
  Fax 410-859-5737
ed4linda at yahoo.com

  "Without Freedom of Thought, there can be no such Thing as Wisdom; and no such Thing as publick Liberty, without Freedom of Speech." Benjamin Franklin