[KS] Kanghwa Treaty diplomatic protocol

Richard Miller rcmiller at wisc.edu
Wed Nov 14 15:32:29 EST 2007

Hi Christine (and everyone else),

Your colleague might look through Konishi Shirou's multi-volume work
"Nishiki-e bakumatsu Meiji no rekishi" (Tokyo: Kodansha, 1977), if
they're not familiar with it already. Since nishiki-e were meant to be a
news medium, there are many images of Japan's various foreign
adventures. Word of caution: they are often more revealing of Japanese
attitudes toward foreigners than anything else, and are not particularly
accurate accounts in many cases. For example, a number of famous
nishiki-e regarding the first Sino-Japanese war are actually depictions
of a popular series of plays performed by Kawakami Otojiro and his
troupe. I have on occasion seen these prints described as if they
depicted actual events, when what they depict is fictionalized stage
versions, and rather nationalistic ones at that. Very interesting
material for self-and-other studies of Meiji Japan, but I would hesitate
to connect them to physical reality.

Richard Miller
Center for East Asian Studies
UW-Madison