[KS] the culture of death and life insurance markets in Korea

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at ikos.uio.no
Thu Oct 25 05:51:14 EDT 2007

Although it is not an "academic" article, I sincerely recommend the
following piece by Prof. Kang Chunman (ChOnbuk National Un-ty, Media
Studies): "History of Korean Insurance: World's 6th Biggest Insurance
Market made by the 'Family-based Welfare' and 'Everybody-Provides-for
-Oneself Weflare'" (한국 보험의 역사: ‘연고 복지’와 ‘각개약진 복지’가 만
든 세계 6위). It was published in monthly <Inmul kwa sasang>, August,
2007 (see the sontent of that issue here:
http://www.inmul.co.kr/sub_read.html?uid=2067&section=section20) and
made a good case about the direct connection between the underdeveloped
state of the social welfare in S.Korea and overdevelopment of the
private insurance market. Another interesting trait discussed in some
detail by Prof. Kang, was the "Yonchul" (private connection)
network-based strategy of selling insurance packages on the retail
market, which made insurance, personalized by lovable, friendly,
neighbourly "PohOm sOlgyesa ajumma", into a part of socio-cultural, not
only socio-economic practice. Prof. Kang recently writes many
fascinating pieces about the everyday culture of Korean capitalism, but
he seemingly decided not to write/publish in English at all, and that is
why he seems to be unknown to the majority of our foreign graduate students.

Vladimir/Noja

--
Vladimir Tikhonov,
Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages,

http://www.geocities.com/volodyatikhonov/volodyatikhonov.html
Electronic classrooms: East Asian/Korean Society and Politics:
                        http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/eastasianstudies.htm
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2002/main.html
                        East Asian/Korean Religion and Philosophy:

http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2003/classroom.html