[KS] Varieties and taxonomy of evolving Korean (post-)nationalisms

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Wed Sep 5 19:01:32 EDT 2007

Yes, this is an interesting topic, and that short
newspaper article you quote seems right on, at
first sight:

Quote from that article:
   "As far as large social currents are concerned,
it's clear that both intellectuals and the
   general public are now moving from leftwing
nationalism to rightwing post-nationalism,"
   Kim Ho-ki said.

It is a newspaper article, after all -- and I am
not too sure any of the mentioned scholars
mentioned in there (some are on this list) would
be very happy with the markers given to them. The
terminology being used seems somewhat
trivialized, or popularized, if you like that
term better. "Post-nationalism" is of course
closely related to globalization. Globalization,
however, is in Korean newspapers, magazines, and
the general public being used to equal something
like "having international trade relations with
nations around the world." It is exactly this
trivialized version of the term that makes it so
tremendously popular in Korea. Going from here I
see that many of these newspaper debates that one
way or the other relate to globalization are
often hard to understand if these specific Korean
definitions of such terms are not being
considered as what they really mean. I don't
think that "post-nationalism" in that article is
indeed the same "post-nationalism" that Carter
Eckert talks about in the chapter Will Pore
mentioned.

"Rightwing post-nationalism" seems particular
problematic. That quote somehow indicates that
there is no leftwing or liberal post-nationalism,
and that post-nationalism is a 'rightwing'
political affair. That's where the entire
statement stops to make sense to me, and I
understand why you say that such articles are
frustrating. You probably know the book _Empire_,
a publication by Harvard U Press (2000), by
Michael Hardt and Antonio Negri. Negri, an
Italian philosophy professor and former colleague
of Derrida, Foucault and Deleuze at the Collège
International de Philosophie in Paris, but also a
terrorist and member of the Red Brigates who
spent a long prison for his involvement in the
Aldo Moro assassination, collaborted with his
former student Michael Hardt, now teaching at
Duke U., on redefining globalization. One of the
main points that the authors make is that there
is no right or left anymore. Globalization and
post-nationalism are in Negri's and Hardt's
analysis not right or left, and they are not
something that create a right-wing or neoliberal
world either. (For a good summary and longer
review see:
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20000717/aronowitz.)
The old terms of right and left have stopped to
apply in this new reality. It just is not very
helpful to use these terms anymore. Such
newspaper and magazine articles certainly show
the amazing appetite to use hip language. I
understand. We all wanna be hip.

Frank