[KS] Long and short vowels

Mark Peterson markpeterson at byu.edu
Mon Sep 24 13:25:41 EDT 2007

H.H.  and all,

Greetings,

I've often puzzled on the Kim, kim difference.  I dont' think it is a
matter of vowel length.  It's actually the position of the vowel [-
i-] in the mouth.  I'm not a linguist (help!, Ross) but it seems that
Kim, the name, is more frontal, whereas kim, seaweed, is back or
middle.  I know there are interpretations that say Kim and kim are a
matter of vowel length, but say Kim with a short vowel or with a long
vowel and say kim with a long vowel and a short vowel and they are
both in different places, and both can be either long or short -- not
that such is found in the spoken language, but still, linguistically,
possible.

Ross, step in and help out on this.  Or Young-key, Bob.

best,
Mark
,