[KS] Long and short vowels

Ri Hwasu hwasuri at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 18:30:42 EDT 2007

As I said in my previous message, homophones like Kim (family name) and
ki-m (seaweed) are differentiated when carefully compared each other.  But
in normal speech the difference is a matter of the occurrence in a
sentence.  It is not a phonetic or phonological, but a lexical difference.

Korean /i/ is not necessarily a front vowel.  In both Kim and ki-m /i/ can
be pronounced with back of the tongue raised, as it is preceded by a velar
stop, or with the front part or the whole part of the tongue raised.
Following a palatal or dental consonant /i/ may be regarded as a front
vowel, for example, chijin (earthquake), ch'ijil (hemorrhoids), t'ibi (TV),
tti (band). But after a bilabial consonant  /i/ can be pronouned either the
back or the front (the whole) part of the tongue raised.  Ex. pi (rain),
p'i (blood), ppida (to sprain), miji (unknown).