[KS] A light contemporary read on Korea

Thomas Duvernay bluelake at handong.edu
Sun Apr 20 20:20:25 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "J.Scott Burgeson" <jsburgeson at yahoo.com>
To: <koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws>
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2008 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: [KS] A light contemporary read on Korea

>> Any ideas out there for a relatively light read on Korea
>> that I could pair with Hokkaido Highway Blues to assign to
>> a group of High School Teachers that I will be leading to
>> Korea and Japan this summer.
>

> The equivalents on the Korea front would be either Isabella Bird Bishop's
> Korea and Her Neighbours (1898), itself a classic and well-recommended, if
> slightly crotchety at times...

My Korean history students put into digital format both volumes of IBB's
stories of her trip through the peninsula.  I have clearance from Project
Gutenberg to upload them, but I still need to do a proof-reading before that
happens.  I will try to at least upload the files to another server and will
post the URLs later.

Thomas