[KS] Names for God

Dr. Edward D. Rockstein ed4linda at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 09:21:25 EDT 2008

--- On Thu, 7/31/08, Javier Cha <javiercha at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Javier Cha <javiercha at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [KS] Names for God
To: "Korean Studies Discussion List" <koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws>
Date: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 3:11 PM

While I have nothing substantial to contribute to this extremely
intriguing discussion, please allow me to add a few words on the
subject of Pak Illo's "Hanonim."

The following is the sijo piece which Professor Gari Ledyard kindly
translated in his 2003 post:

Now and then with lifted head I gaze at the North Star,
And shed tears others wouldn't understand straight toward Heaven.
I humbly pray for wishes held my whole life long. Oh, Hanonim!

Sisilo melitule pukcin.ul polapwokwo,
Nom mwolonon nwunmwul.ul Thyen.ilpang.ey tiinota.
Ilsoyng.ey phwum.un stus.ul piwopnota Hanonim.a!

[snip]
-------------------------------Two comments:1) The excerpt cited is from Pak's kasa 歌詞 poem Nogye-ga 蘆溪歌 not a sijo 時調. 2) The 1st line cited " Sisilo melitule pukcin.ul polapwokwo,"["sisiro mo^ li turo^ pukchin u^l p*ra po'go"]時時로 멀이 두러 北辰을 ㅂ*라보고  from Nogye-ga bears a close similarity to a line in Pak's kasa So^nsangt'an 船上歎, "sisiro mo^l'i turo^ pukchin u^l p*ra po'myo^" 時時로 머리 두러 北辰진을 ㅂ*라보며.This sort of "parallel" may add some suspicion as to the extent that later editing may have affected the form and composition of the published collection of Pak's poems.