[KS] Poets (Py^onsa?) of the Unreeled: CinePoetry Extravaganza 2/1 & 2/2 in NYC

Serk Bae Suh suhsb at uci.edu
Thu Jan 31 14:47:13 EST 2008

Dear Koreanists,

I am forwarding the message below for Walter Lew, the scholar of Korean
literature, multimedia artist, and poet.

Sincerely,

Serk Bae Suh
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For those of you in the NY-area intrigued by the once-popular Korean
practice of live narration of film, I invite you to enjoy a show taking
place this weekend in Brooklyn and the Lower Eastside. In Korea, the
"movietellers" were known as py^onsa  (cf. Roald Maliangkay's article at
<www.imageandnarrative.be/worldmusica/roaldhmaliangkay.htm
<http://www.imageandnarrative.be/worldmusica/roaldhmaliangkay.htm>>),
while the Japanese performers were known as benshi. In organizing the
show, I was often guided--though sometimes very abstractly--by my own
research in the history of movietelling, especially my interviews in
Seoul of the supposed "majimak py^onsa" Shin Ch'ul. Hope to see some of
you there! Present student ID for half-price admission.

POETS OF THE UNREELED! A CinePoetry & Performance Extravaganza

MULTIMEDIA POETS, artists, and musicians Linh Dinh, Wang Ping, Mark
Nowak & Ian Teh, Paolo Javier (with Ernest Concepcion & Mike Estabrook),
Jeremy James Thompson, Kate Ann Heidelbach, dennis M. somera, and Dillon
Westbrook give live narrations of classic films, screen new videos, pay
homage to jazz drummers, and redraw on-stage some present scenes.
Curated by Walter K. Lew for shadoWord productions
<www.myspace.com/shadoword>.

FIRST SHOW
Friday, Feb. 1st, 7-9 pm.
At the Galapagos Art Space. $6.
70 North 6th St., between Kent and Wythe, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
3.5 blocks from the Bedford Ave. stop of the L train.
For further info, see <www.galapagosartspace.com
<http://www.galapagosartspace.com>/>.

SECOND SHOW
Saturday, Feb. 2nd, Midnight-2 am.
At the Bowery Poetry Club. $8.
308 Bowery, on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.
More info at <http://www.bowerypoetry.com/>.

For some recent work by the participating poets and performers, see:

LINH DINH <www.archive.org/details/3ByLinhDinh>

WANG PING <www.wangping.com/>

IAN TEH <www.ianteh.com/>

MARK NOWAK <www.xcp.bfn.org/journal.html>

MIKE ESTABROOK
Short Video <www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2wj37EabqU
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2wj37EabqU>>
<www.artcodex.org/mike_estabrook/ <http://www.artcodex.org/mike_estabrook/>>

PAOLO JAVIER <www.obooks.com/books/60lvboembs.htm>
Editor <www.2ndavepoetry.com/>

ERNEST CONCEPCION <www.artcodex.org/kangarok/index.html>
<www.artbistro.com/member/Ernest/photos>

JEREMY JAMES THOMPSON <www.autotypograph.com/>

KATE ANN HEIDELBACH & dennis M. somera
<www.tix.com/EventSeatType.asp?Event=116287>

WALTER K. LEW <www.as.miami.edu/english/mfa/lew.htm>

DILLON WESTBROOK <http://prosodycastle.blogspot.com/>

* * *
/CONTACT:/ Walter K. Lew <wlew at miami.edu <mailto:wlew at miami.edu>>

POETS OF THE UNREELED: A CinePoetry & Performance Extravaganza
*For more info, go to <www.myspace.com/shadoword>.*

Walter K. Lew
Dept. of English
University of Miami