[KS] Library of Congress Korean Controversy

Eugene Y. Park eugene.y.park at uci.edu
Sun Jul 20 01:01:04 EDT 2008

Dear all,

After reading the postings on this subject, I want to raise a question:
What is "neutral" as distinguished from "nationalistic"? Changing the
current LOC classification heading for the islet seems arbitrary to some;
an e-mail espousing the former view is nationalistic, lobbying, or
solicitous (in the sense of qualifying for a "spam") to others.

In considering a "neutral" American way of dealing with the islet question
when it comes to representations, I find relevant for the discussion how
American maps (especially in atlases and encyclopedias) have dealt with
it. To begin with, East Asian countries seem to produce maps reflecting
their respective views on how things should be rather than the present
condition of a territory in terms of, among others, which country occupies
it or has citizens living there. As far as I know, for example: (1) the
PRC maps show Taiwan as part of the PRC; (2) older Taiwanese maps
(reflecting the Guomindang-ROC viewpoint) showed even Mongolia as a part
of the ROC; (3) North Korea does not exist on South Korean maps that,
instead, go by pre-1948 (or -1945?) administrative boundaries for the
North; (4) until the constitutional change in the early 1970's, North
Korea's official capital was Seoul; and (5) Japanese maps show as Japanese
the currently Russian-controlled Kuril Island chain.

True to my bias as an American, I like the American mapping convention,
that is to show who currently controls a territory in question while still
noting disputes, if any. For example in the 1970's and 80's, American maps
clearly showed Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania as 3 of the 15 Soviet
republics while noting in small print that the US government had never
recognized Stalin's occupation of the 3 formerly independent nations.
Likewise when a few years ago North Korea stated that it wanted the US
government to respect North Korea's sovereignty, Condoleezza Rice stated
that the US government has always regarded North Korea as a sovereign
nation. Interestingly at the time, none of the South Korean media (not
even MBC!) reported Rice's comment, as far as I know. I guess the US
Secretary of State's comment obviously ran counter to South Korea's
National Security Law!

In light of common American mapping conventions when it comes to disputed
territories, suddenly going for "Liancourt Rock" with the LOC
classification heading seems odd, to say the least. To me, the effort that
Hana Kim and her librarian colleagues have undertaken, seems to call for
preserving the status quo rather than promoting a Korean nationalist
agenda or lobbying for the South Korean government. Moving from
Tokto/Takeshima, Takeshima (Tokto), or any variant formulation to
Liancourt Rock does not seem more "neutral" or unbiased.

Speaking of neutrality, I have also been noticing a disturbing propensity
on the part of some to label a particular position "nationalistic" based
on apparent or assumed correspondence between the position-holder's
ethnic/national/ancestral background and the popularity of that position
among those from that background. I grant that statistically, a person of
Korean or Korean-descent is more likely to regard Takeshima/Tokto as
"Korean" in the same way, for example, a "white" American person is more
likely to oppose Affirmative Action or believe that O. J. Simpson was
guilty, but from here can we jump to the conclusion that a person simply
supports a particular position due to his/her racial/ethnic/national
identity and that (s)he is a racist/bigot/nationalist? Not knowing
anything else about, for example, Hana Kim and Scott Burgeson (and I
personally know neither), I refuse to make any assumptions about either
one being "nationalistic" on the account of his/her national background.
(And Young-Key Kim-Renaud has already made this point far more eloquently
than I am doing here.)

Same goes true for "lobbying." If within one country a particular person
expresses and promotes a position that corresponds to the position of the
government of another country, does this make the person a "lobbyist"?
Without knowing anything else about Hana and Scott, I cannot say that one
is lobbying for the South Korean government and another for whatever
government that may use the name, Liancourt Rock, for the islet.

Lastly, the "spam" issue. For more than a decade, I have been a member of
this discussion group as well as a fairly quiet supporter. The moderators
have done an admirable job in maintaining this forum for serious
discussions of Korea-related topics. Hana's original posting made it
precisely because the moderators did not regard it as a "spam" concerned
with a "non-issue." I concur with their judgment.

Yours,
Gene Park

Eugene Y. Park
Associate Professor