[KS] Library of Congress Korean Controversy

Young-Key Kim-Renaud kimrenau at gwu.edu
Sat Jul 26 13:59:04 EDT 2008

Ok, ok, I stand corrected: I should have said the "the predominant Korean position" and not "the Korean position." I was not too far off, though, if I was not careful enough in choosing my words. To say what I really meant, I could only quote Brother Anthony's earlier posting on this:
"... Let us not forget that this issue is less about 'nationalism' than it is about fishing rights and sea-bed mineral rights, and also about  pan-Korean unity in the face of what is perceived as ongoing Japanese expansionism. For once Seoul and Pyongyang are speaking the same language.  It is surely also about a sense of frustration at the way the Japanese positions (cf the 'East Sea' issue)  find so easily such a sympathetic audience worldwide, while Korea (as someone has noted) resorts to strident screaming in protest because no one seems to be listening.

So far as I know, the present blow-up was produced by the publication of Japanese school-textbook guidelines, which can only be seen as a form of provocation, and Koreans are wondering 'Why now?' That seems a good question."
To respond to your sweeping and accusatory generalization about "distorted scholarship" and certain research methods [by some Koreans, I supposed you meant] in Korean studies, with not one single reference, is a waste of time in my opinion. So, I won't. It is a good thing that you meant no offense to anyone. Just one plea--please, let us not essentialize things and groups of people. Those days are long gone--at least, I hope so!
YK
Young-Key Kim-Renaud, Chair
Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures
Professor of Korean Language and Culture and International Affairs
The George Washington University
801 22nd Street, N.W. (Academic Center, Rome Hall 469)
Washington, DC 20052
E-mail: kimrenau at gwu.edu
http://home.gwu.edu/~kimrenau,
http://myprofile.cos.com/kimreny76