[KS] Library of Congress Korean Controversy

Kent Allen Davy kentdavy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 10:52:54 EDT 2008

Sea ("UNCLOS") provides in pertinent part as follows:

*PART VIII*
*

Article121

Regime of islands
*

*1. An island is a naturally formed area of land, surrounded by water, which
is above water at high tide.*

*2. Except as provided for in paragraph 3, the territorial sea, the
contiguous zone, the exclusive economic zone and the continental shelf of an
island are determined in accordance with the provisions of this Convention
applicable to other land territory.*

*3. Rocks which cannot sustain human habitation or economic life of their
own shall have no exclusive economic zone or continental shelf.*

It should be clear from Article 121(3) that the Damned Rocks cannot provide
the basis for an assertion by a state claiming territorial sovereignty over
them with of the [rather expansive (200 mile)] Exclusive Economic Zone [the
name of which alone for current purposes should suffice to indicate what is
at stake] provided for in Articles 55 et seq. of Part V of UNCLOS, nor for a
state's assertion of the [similarly expansive] rights in a related
continental shelf in accordance with Articles 76 et seq. of Part VI.

The significance of the dispute over the Damned Rocks between Korean and
Japan, at least in current economic terms, thus comes down to the rights
that accrue to them under UNCLOS if they are considered to constitute
territory of one or the other state.  That is spelled out in Articles 2, 3
et seq. of Sections 1 and 2 of Part II as follows:

*

PART II

TERRITORIAL SEA AND CONTIGUOUS ZONE
* *

SECTION 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
* ** *

Article2

Legal status of the territorial sea, of the air space

over the territorial sea and of its bed and subsoil
*

*1. The sovereignty of a coastal State extends, beyond its land territory
and internal waters and, in the case of an archipelagic State, its
archipelagic waters, to an adjacent belt of sea, described as the
territorial sea.*

*2. This sovereignty extends to the air space over the territorial sea as
well as to its bed and subsoil.*

*3. The sovereignty over the territorial sea is exercised subject to this
Convention and to other rules of international law.*
** *

SECTION 2. LIMITS OF THE TERRITORIAL SEA
* ** *

Article3

Breadth of the territorial sea
*

*Every State has the right to establish the breadth of its territorial sea
up to a limit not exceeding 12 nautical miles, measured from baselines
determined in accordance with this Convention.*
So, in other words, what is at stake here in current material terms is
whether Korea or Japan gets to control the area of sea extending 12 miles
out in all directions from the Damned Rocks.