[KS] Library of Congress Korean Controversy

Henny Savenije webmaster at henny-savenije.pe.kr
Sun Jul 27 10:02:07 EDT 2008

Well there is a group of rocks somewhere between Indonesia,
Philippines and Vietnam which are claimed by all three of them and
additionally by China

On Chinese maps, Chinese territory goes deep into the region between
the three before mentioned countries.

In the past there have been repeated clashes between the 4 countries
since they all claim these rocks are theirs, since these rocks are
nothing more than that. They barely stick above the sea and are
certainly not inhabitable. I just remember reading about them in a
Philippine newspaper at the time I was there and according to the
article and the accompanying photo they were definitely uninhabitable.

At 06:13 PM 7/27/2008, you wrote:
>Did anyone else happen to see the article in a newspaper recently about the
>difference between a rock and an island?  It seemed to be sort of a technical
>distinction, but with some significant ramifications.  As I
>remember, a rock is
>not inhabitable, while an island is.  With an "island" go
>territorial claims, as
>for example to fishing or other resources, but with a "rock," no
>such claims can
>be made.
>
>David McCann

Henny (Lee Hae Kang)
-----------------------------
http://www.henny-savenije.pe.kr Portal to all my sites
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Feel free
to discover Korea with Hendrick Hamel (1653-1666)
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/indexk2.htm In Korean
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/Dutch In Dutch
http://www.vos.henny-savenije.pe.kr Frits Vos Article about Witsen
and Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch dictionary
http://www.cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Korea
through Western Cartographic eyes
http://www.hwasong.henny-savenije.pe.kr Hwasong the fortress in Suwon
http://www.oldKorea.henny-savenije.pe.kr Old Korea in pictures