[KS] Name used for "god" in Korean language

erichwein at hotmail.com erichwein at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 27 14:30:41 EDT 2008

1. What is the word in Korean for "God"? (Transliteration, please)

2. Is this an original Korean word, or one introduced by Christian
missionaries?

3. Is it the same word used in traditional Korean folk religion (e.g.
shamanism) and in Buddhism?

4. Is the same word used in both North and South Korea?

5. In North Korea, is the same word for "God" used both in reference
to the Christian God (e.g. in worship services of the Korean Christian
Federation) and in reference to the "Great Leader"? (Explanation: I am
told that the word "god" is not used in reference the the GL. However,
on several occasions my interpreters in the DPRK did use the word
"god" in reference to KIS. This may have been a wrong translation.
Example: Referring to the young age at which KIS founded the PKA, one
interpreter told me, "That is why I consider him a god.")

6. If not, what distinguishes the two words/concepts used?

Thanks for any clarifications you can render.
Erich Weingartner