[KS] candlelight demonstrations in Korea and the beef deal issue

don kirk kirkdon at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 16:21:53 EDT 2008

Not sure this comment went out properly as don't see it coming back on Korean Studies Discussion List. It's written in response to Scott's comments and also to Alice Kim, below. Wd simply add, re her remarks, that articles in Yonhap and WashPost were news reports, quoting sources, not evidence. Shd repeat, the critical factor in Mad Cow disease seems to have been use use of ground feed from animals, including cows, thus turning cows into cannibals. That stuff hasn't been used as feed in UK since cases in people were diagnosed there and such feed was found to have been common denominator. Not sure if it ever was used as feed in U.S. Anyway, not in past few years..
Regards,
Don Kirk:
Re 30-month-old beef, am told approx 20 percent of beef sold in U.S. is from cattle more than 30 months old. This beef is used for hamburgers, in case anyone wonders what on offer at Burger King and McDonald's. The beef agreement with Korea specifically excludes parts of animals viewed as borderline, eg. vertebrae. Re lax U.S. standards, no case of Mad Cow disease yet reported in a person in U.S. Believe more than 100 reported in UK before all feed made from other animals was removed from diet.....Such feed is also banned in U.S.....Re the "downer" animal in the infamous video, Mad Cow disease was discovered in one "downer" cow in Washington State in December 2003....That cow was not slaughtered for beef. In fact, all "downer" cows must be tested, and no "downer" cow can be slaughtered for beef  regardless of outcome of testing. Let's hope there are no exceptions or violations.
Don Kirk