[KS] Korean Culture for eldest son to care for parents

michael ralston mkr_lists at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 22:11:27 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

   David Prendergast’s book, “From Elder to Ancestor: Old Age, Death, and Inheritance in Modern Korea,” may be helpful.  (Global Oriental, 2005)  I haven’t read the entire book yet, but he addresses different aspects of the issue.

Kyu-taik Sung’s address at the 1997 World Congress of Gerontology (“Filial Piety in Modern Times:  Timely Adaptation and Practice Patterns”; http://www.cas.flinders.edu.au/iag/proceedings/proc0030.htm) is also worth looking at.

   Polling in 2002 showed 25.9% of respondents (20 years and over) thought they were performing their filial obligations well; 32.4% thought they were not performing their filial obligations well, and the remaining 41.7% thought they were average.

    One anecdotal note about the increasing value of women—-a friend of mine mentioned that when marrying the groom’s family is still responsible for providing housing while the bride’s family is responsible for the furnishings therein.  With the steep growth in housing prices and the more modest increases in the cost of furnishing a house, a male’s household faces a very large financial burden.

  Regards, mike