[KS] news re: the korean program at uc berkeley

Michael Pettid mjpettid2000 at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 22:54:01 EDT 2008

Christine,

It is good to hear there has been some positive
movements at Berkeley to keep the Korean language
program thriving.

A couple of points concerning your post: First, you
seem to be implying that ¡°non-heritage interpreters
of Korean culture¡± are somehow inferior or different
than, I gather, heritage interpreters of Korean
culture.  All of us, Korean or otherwise, are in a
broad sense interpreters of culture.  The
interpretation of a non-heritage researcher is
absolutely as valid as that of a heritage researcher.
Surely you are not implying differently.  Being a
heritage researcher does not mean that individual's
research is imbued with some sort of inherent insight
that a non-heritage learner can never hope to achieve.

Second, there are a number of Korean language
instructors/ professors who are non-heritage also.
Those outside of tenure track lines have the same
difficulties in times of budget cuts be they heritage
or non-heritage.  Such a situation is true throughout
academia and is not limited to merely language
instructors.

Michael J. Pettid
SUNY Binghamton