[KS] Korean War atrocities

Mark Peterson markpeterson at byu.edu
Mon May 19 01:36:52 EDT 2008

Greetings,

On the subject generally -- not specifically concerning any one place
and time -- I've found a recent film to be very helpful in launching
discussions about the situation in Korea just before the war, (and
into the first part of the war, too).  The film Taebaek Sanmaek
(translated as Taebaek Mountains) is an Im Kwontaek full-length
feature film that functions like a docu-drama, but is actually based
on Cho Chøngnae's multi-volume mega-novel by the same name.

In it, one town, Pølgyo, is caught in the middle and torn back and
forth by the communists and the nationalists.  In reality, Pølgyo was
such a place.  It changed hands four times, and each time the victors
executed their enemies and retaliated for the previous executions.
It's a gruesome film in many ways, but it was a gruesome time, and
through it all the humanity of those good people caught in the middle
shows through.  An Sung-gi plays the lead -- a school teacher but son
of a landlord who is criticized and accused by each side as being
sympathetic to the opposite side, yet somehow he maintains his
position in society, and more importantly, his life.

It's a nicely done piece of cinema, if you will, based on an important
literary work, that shows the human dimension of the Korean
catastrophe.  All-too-often, we deal with the War as an event in the
political history of Korea.  To do so leaves out the heart of the issue.

Cho's position, and that of the film, is that there were well-intended
people on both sides, as were villains who let political judgment or
ambition cloud their view.  It's a kind of "pox-on-both-your-houses"
piece, but works very well.  The proof is in the pudding -- I've had
wonderful discussions a papers come from students after  we've gone
through the film.  It really opens their eyes and helps them think
about the Korean War and Communism and the government in a new and
different light.

for what it's worth....

best regards,
Mark