[KS] (no subject)

Werner Sasse werner_sasse at hotmail.com
Fri May 23 21:54:44 EDT 2008

Sir, by way of introduction: I have been in Korean studies (culture and history, not political studies)  for 40 years and have watched RoKorea emerge from military dictatorship backed by (your guess) to democracy. I also confess to live near Gwangju after my retirement from a German university and to have worked for some time at the same research institution as Georgy Katsiaficas today. Unfortunately, your posting struck me as insulting both my colleague and the "Center for Democracy, Human Rights, and Peace" at Chonnam (sic) University, and my first reaction was to simply delete it together with many other unpleasant mail in my inbox. However, in this case I think, some reaction is due.>> I may not have the background or the education that many on this list have>> but I would like to ask all of you to show caution in your investigation of war time atrocities. Rather than addressing  "all of you", could you, please, name the ones who are in need of this kind of advice? Scholars, real scholars, after all do show caution in their investigations. You must have someone in mind, or otherwise you are asking someone who is singing a song to sing a song.What has particularly caught my eye is the fact that Georgy Katsiaficas lives in Kwang Ju and works for Chun Nam University.  Did anything in his writings also catch your eye...? That is what should your judgement should be based on. As we all know, Kwang Ju and Chun Nam University are historically a hot bed for Koreanpolitical activity and has seen it's fare share of demonstrations (protests).Well, there are some people who are glad that Korea is a pretty well working democracy today and take Gwangju and the 5.18 fight for an important step and almost symbolic for one of the great moments in recent history. Somehow, however, your "hot bed for Korean political activity and has seen it's fare share of demonstrations (protests)" sounds as you were displeased. The students of Chonnam University to have led the demonstrations, later joined by the people of the city, which were then brutally suppressed is a legacy to be proud of. >> I agree that this should be investigated. But, as one who has lived and worked in Korea and in Kwang Ju in particular I fear that if this investigation is not done in a sensitive manner, emotionswill run high and people could get hurt. Please, specify, whose emotions, who could get hurt, and in what way. The truth will surely hurt the ones responsible for the atrocities, but that would be something they have inflicted upon themselves. So who else? Werner Sasse