[KS] Indonesian tribe picks Korean alphabet as official writing system

kevin parks kevin at macosx.com
Thu Aug 6 10:15:15 EDT 2009

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2009/08/06/56/0302000000AEN20090806001200315F.HTML

That is pretty interesting. But I could have swore there were other
instances in the past where other cultures attempted to adopt Han'gu(l /
Choso(n'gu(l as their written language only to have it be rejected, no?
I don't recall as it has been a long time since I read Kim-Renaud, Y-K.
(ed) 1997. The Korean Alphabet: Its History and Structure.

Anyway, this is a very interesting language development that *gasp* for
once doesn't involve romanizations.

I wonder what the fit will be like or if their language, like modern
South Korean will be filled with lots of "eu" and such to try to account
for combinations and phonemes not availble in Han'gu(l. I think of what
happens with such loans words such as stress ???? which is hard to spell
and sounds bad. I am quite curious to know what their language sounds
like and how this will work.

cheers,

kevin