[KS] Indonesian tribe picks Korean alphabet as official writing system

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Thu Aug 6 13:01:24 EDT 2009

I certainly agree with Kevin that this is very interesting, and I
share his curiosity over how Hangul works with the linguistics of this
language. It would be nice also to know the name of the tribe and the
language (not just its location--which is really what you might call
remote) so that people could check it out in the
anthropological/linguistic literature.

Beyond that I hope this leads some journalist, preferably of
Indoneasian background, to check this situation out on the ground in
Indonesia. So far we have news only from a Korean news agency,
informed by a Korean cultural organization with a strong nationalist
agenda, and featuring a book written in the Hangulized
language/dialect that could only have been printed and published in
Korea.

In such circumstances one thinks of many more questions to ask.

Gari Ledyard