[KS] historical uses of the Korean term YO^BO

Ross King jrpking at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Aug 10 10:43:51 EDT 2009

Whenever I encounter the term "yobo" in the uses Todd Henry is tracing, I am reminded of English "yabo" for "hick, uncouth person," etc., so I thought I'd look this up on wikipedia, and here's what I got -- probably not related, but there is always the chance of some contamination... :

"Yabo (野暮?) is a Japanese term to describe certain unaesthetic quality. Yabo is the antonym of iki. Busui (無粋), literally "non-iki," is synonymous with yabo. A non-iki thing is not necessarily yabo but probably is. Something that is yabo is usually unrefined, gigantic, coarse, childish, colorful, self-conscious, permanent, loud, superficial, vulgar, snobbish, boorish, etc.

The word yabo was often used by city dwellers, or chonin (especially those of Edo). It often refers to samurai and farmers (nomin) from outside of Edo, but could also be applied to another chonin. The city dwellers of Edo sometimes called themselves Edokko (similar to New Yorker or Parisian). Proud of having been born and raised in Edo, they had a tendency to despise outsiders. However, the origins of many chonin could be traced back to other areas and backgrounds.

The meaning of the term has expanded and generalized through the modernization of Japan. Today, the word yabo is used more frequently than iki."

--
Ross King
Professor of Korean and Head,

and

Dean, Korean Language Village,
Concordia Language Villages

Mailing address:
Ross King, Department of Asian Studies, UBC
Asian Centre, 1871 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
CANADA

vox: 604-822-2835