[KS] historical uses of the Korean term YO^BO

Theodore Hughes th2150 at columbia.edu
Mon Aug 10 12:44:15 EDT 2009

Just to clarify, and in response to several queries outside of the
list, the usage of "yobo" I refer to in my previous post is camptown
specific,  appropriated in G.I./camptown Korean in the third-person,
related, I am guessing, more to the second-person term of endearment
similar to "honey" in "standard" Korean than to the pejorative "yobo"
used by Japanese settler colonialists (although we probably can't rule
out a connection to the latter). My sense of the Japanese colonialist
usage, at least as it appears in colonial-period Korean literary texts, is
that it is not so distant in meaning from the various racist terms we
encounter so often in Euro-American colonialism.

Ted Hughes