[KS] Grand Korean Waterway

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Wed Aug 26 02:33:36 EDT 2009

Dear Dong-Hun Lee,

I hope the short article below may be some help to  you,
though it is a few months old and I claim no special  expertise.

Its scope is wider than the GKW alone. Are  you also
covering the Four Rivers Restoration Project?

There must be far more in Korean, e.g. NoCanal.org  .
But even in English, and perhaps German, you can Google
your way towards the experts and then  contact them.

For instance, I think the GKW's moving spirit,  professor
Yu Woo-ik, is now out of government and back at  SNU.

As to critics, some are mentioned here:
_http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/12/world/asia/12canal.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=kor
ea%20canal&st=cse_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/12/world/asia/12canal.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=korea%20canal&st=cse)

There is a lot of discussion not only in obvious  places
like OhMyNews or the Hankyoreh - for instance
_http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?menu=c10400&no=385
405&rel_no=1_
(http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?menu=c10400&no=385405&rel_no=1)  or
_http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/363115.html_
(http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/363115.html)

- but also the mainstream right-wing  press, e.g.
_http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2009/06/24/2009062400765.html_

(http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2009/06/24/2009062400765.html)

In my own fairly limited research, I found  BirdsKorea.org
very helpful and well-argued. For instance:
_http://www.birdskorea.org/Habitats/Grand_Canal/BK-HA-Grand-Canal.shtml_
(http://www.birdskorea.org/Habitats/Grand_Canal/BK-HA-Grand-Canal.shtml)
- And just for you, they also have this in  German!
_http://www.birdskorea.org/Habitats/Grand_Canal/BK-HA-Grand-Canal-de.shtml_
(http://www.birdskorea.org/Habitats/Grand_Canal/BK-HA-Grand-Canal-de.shtml)
You'll find lots of other materials, links and contacts there  too.

I'm glad you are doing a feasibility study. The  government's
failure in that regard is, in my view, puzzling and  worrying.

Good luck!

Best wishes
Aidan FC

Aidan Foster-Carter
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology  & Modern Korea, Leeds
University, UK
Flat 1, 40 Magdalen Road,  Exeter, Devon, EX2 4TE, England, UK
T: (+44, no 0)    07970 741307 (mobile);   01392 257753       Skype:
Aidan.Foster.Carter
E: _afostercarter at aol.com_ (mailto:afostercarter at aol.com) ,
_afostercarter at yahoo.com_ (mailto:afostercarter at yahoo.com)               W:
_www.aidanfc.net_ (http://www.aidanfc.net)

------------------------

Draft Brief for Oxford Analytica  by Aidan Foster-Carter.
                                      Completed 17 May 2009

SOUTH KOREA: Rivers restoration project rekindles canal  controversy

SUBJECT: The Lee Myung-bak administration’s  environmental infrastructure
plans.
SIGNIFICANCE: Critics claim the government’s ideas are  environmentally
unsound, and a ploy to resurrect the president’s dream of a  nationwide canal
network via the back door.
ANALYSIS: On April 27 President Lee  Myung-bak presided at the launch of an
interim plan to upgrade South Korea’s  four major rivers: the Han, Nakdong,
Geum and Yeongsan. This is to be finalized  by end-May, with work starting
in September after the rainy  season.
The four river restoration project (4RRP) is a core part  of a 50 trillion
won (37 billion dollar) ‘Green New Deal’ announced earlier this  year.
Costing 14 trillion won, the 4RRP aims to:
* Provide more and better water. Two new dams and 13  reservoirs are to
store an extra 1.25 billion cubic metres of fresh water by  2012.
* This, and dredging the river beds, are also meant to  improve control of
seasonal flooding. The latter has worsened since the 1970s,  possibly
because of the effects of industrialisation.
* Amenites will include 1,411 kilometres of new cycling  paths, sprucing up
cultural relics near the river banks, and general riparian  beautification
for leisure and tourism purposes.
* It is hoped thereby to create some 190,000 jobs  directly and more
indirectly, boosting local economies along the rivers and  contributing to more
balanced regional development.
* New photovoltaic and small hydropower plants on or near  the four rivers,
as well as larger green spaces, are supposed to reduce carbon  emissions by
100,000 tons annually.
Canal redux? On February 26 prime  minister Han Seung-soo said “there
should be no more controversy over this  project,” calling it “the backbone of
our Green New Deal plan.”
However, this has not silenced claims that the 4RRP is  essentially a
covert bid to revive Lee Myung-bak’s pet project for a ‘Grand  Korean Waterway’
(GKW): a 540 kilometre cross-country canal linking Seoul to the  port of
Busan in the southeast, costing 16 trillion won.
Mountainous and densely populated, South Korea has high  logistics costs.
But few experts supported the GKW, fearing rather a white  elephant and
ecological harm. Yet Lee persisted,  until forced to drop the idea last June
amidst a deepening political crisis caused by protests against US beef imports
and complaints that he was riding roughshod over public opinion.
Water shortage. Among the varied aims  of the 4RRP, water shortage is a
growing problem. Though South Korea’s yearly  rainfall of 1,274 millimetres is
30% above the global average, its dense  population means per capita water
supply will fall to 1,199 cubic metres by  2025; the UN regards 2,000 as the
safe minimum. Yet daily consumption per head  at 397 litres is the highest
in OECD, suggesting a need for action at the demand  as well as the supply
end.
Protest. Environmental NGOs are  influential in South Korea. Their record
includes:
* Holding up for several years construction of the  world’s longest seawall
(see below).
* Delaying the last section of the KTX high speed rail  link from Seoul to
Busan, now set to open finally in 2010. On April 23 the  Supreme Court
convicted Venerable Jiyu, a Buddhist nun, for obstructing this;  most famously in
a 120-day hunger strike in 2005 against a planned 13 kilometre  tunnel near
her monastery, said to threaten the habitat of a rare salamander.
Green? Ecological NGOs are predictably  sceptical of the 4RRP and its green
credentials:
* Birds Korea (BK) claims that the plans to dredge rivers  and build dams,
weirs and bicycle paths will breach obligations under the  Convention on
Biological Diversity and the Ramsar Convention on wetlands, to  both of which
South Korea is a signatory.
* BK also argues that vegetated riverbanks, appropriately  supported, would
be stronger and cheaper to maintain than concrete, as well as  more
attractive for biodiversity and recreation.
* Or again, silting and stagnation from dams will harm  rather than help
water quality. Tap water potability has become a public concern  in recent
years; bottled water sales have soared despite official insistence  that mains
water is safe to drink. Water quality and quantity and flood control  alike
would be better guaranteed by restoring natural flood-plain  wetlands.
* Conversely, a construction-focused approach will  disturb and restrict
water flows, destroy natural river beds and edges, reduce  biodiversity and
risk long-term ecological damage.
Bulldozer. Relatedly, critics query the  underlying perspective and
priorities of this project:
* President Lee is a former CEO of Hyundai’s construction  arm. Nicknamed ‘
bulldozer’, he is viewed as espousing an old-school view of  development as
covering nature with concrete.
* The construction sector, accounting for nearly 20% of  GDP, is suffering
in the downturn. This affords an excuse for public works  projects as
Keynesian stimulus, and for job creation. On this basis the 4RRP,  like the GKW
before it, is popular in most of the localities affected, with  hopes of
regeneration and new employment outweighing environmental  concerns.
* In Lee’s favour, his controversial removal of a raised  motorway to
restore a long-hidden stream while mayor of Seoul is now applauded  as much
improving the capital’s amenities.
Exempt? There is disquiet that no full  feasibility studies have been done.
Indeed, a 1999 law mandating such a survey  for all projects costing over
50 billion won was recently amended to exempt  works for “natural disaster
prevention” – as the 4RRP is classified – from this.
Canal reduced. Similar unease affects  another canal project, predating the
GKW and still going ahead. On May 6  President Lee visited the site of the
18 kilometre Gyeongin canal. By 2011 this  will connect the Han river in
Seoul with the port of Incheon on the Yellow  (West) Sea for cargo ships of up
to 4,000 tons.
Conceived in the 1990s, this idea was abandoned five  years ago amid doubts
that it could be economic. In 2003 the Board of Audit and  Inspection (BAI)
criticised officials for fudging a cost-benefit analyis by the  Korea
Development Institute (KDI) to make it look viable. Lee revived the 2  billion
dollar project, but doubts persist and KDI’s study remains  unpublished.
[Green growth. More broadly, on May 12  the Presidential Committee on Green
Growth said 12.6 trillion won will be  invested by 2013 in green
technologies, to create half a million jobs.  4.2 trillion won will be spent on
Internet infrastructure, green IT products, and low-carbon transit systems,
while R&D into other various green technologies, such as high-efficiency  solar
batteries and hybrid vehicles, will receive 8.4 trillion  won.]
Seawall saga. If precedent is any  guide, two relevant cases point in
opposite directions:
* Confounding early scepticism, upgrading of the Han  river in Seoul –
initally for the 1988 Olympics – has been a success. The river  now is far
cleaner and more attractive than before.
* However, the main recent precedent for large-scale  nature-remaking is
discouraging. At 33 kilometres, Saemangeum on the southwest  coast is the world
’s longest seawall, infilling an estuary and adding 400 square  kilometres
of reclaimed land. This remains controversial:
* Begun in 1991, the wall was not finished  till 2006. Environmentalists
opposed it, saying it would destroy some of East  Asia’s most important
wetlands, crucial for migratory birds. In 2007 the RSPB, a  British bird
protection body, reported that seabirds were starving there.
* Conceived mainly to boost and placate the neglected Jeolla region,  which
complained at missing out on major development projects, Saemangeum’s
precise purpose has never been agreed or clarified. Talk variously of industrial
 or agricultural uses has come to little so  far.
* Last year the area was designated a free economic zone (FEZ), again to
no visible effect.
* In March the central and provincial governments agreed to make Saemangeum
a “model green vacation spot”, international tourist resort,  or even “a
Korean Dubai”. This latest twist appears no better thought out, nor  more
likely to succeed, than its many predecessors.
CONCLUSION: Lee’s river restoration plan is ambitious and far-reaching.
Confidence that it will actually achieve its diverse goals would be higher if
feasibility studies had preceded it. If this goes ahead but proves to have
little or negative impact, especially on the environment, this will only
cement  the president’s reputation for bulldozing projects without
consultation, and  could work against the ruling party in 2012’s presidential and
parliamentary  elections.