[KS] US/UN-Japan Bases Agreement of 1950

Gransback, Stephen J LTC OSD DPMO Stephen.Gransback at osd.mil
Sun Dec 13 22:48:17 EST 2009

Mr. Keats, it is the UN-Japan Status of Forces (SOFA) signed on 19 Feb 1954 that provides the United Nations Command member countries the ability to move through, around, and over Japan to support UN actions in Korea. The UNC (Rear) was activated 1 Jul 1957 after UNC moved to Seoul. There are 7 bases in Japan included in the agreement. There are 9 member nations including the US that are current UNC Rear member nations. Steve Gransback