[KS] Jang-do use/tradition in Korean culture

Larry Gillick gillick at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 16:02:49 EDT 2009

Hello,

Larry Gillick here.  I'm new to the list -- not so new to Korean
culture.  Although I don't speak the language, I did spend more than
three years in Korea, worked and married there, too.  Oddly enough, I
married an English woman; but that's another story.  And if anyone
from KBS is on the list, "Hello!"  I worked there for a while, back in
the 1990's.

Alright.  On to the academics.

I'm beginning research for some creative scholarship and would like to
learn all there is about the short, bladed, Korean weapon, the jang-do
(especially folk tales or stories of its use).  I have exhausted the
usual non-academic search techniques (googling, etc.) and am about to
dive deeper into the formal histories.

Unfortunately, I also don't read the language.

Would you be kind enough to point me in a direction?  Korean studies
is close to non-existent at my university, so I'm short of helpful
colleagues there.

Many thanks in advance.

Larry
---