[KS] Seeking panelists for AAS 2010: "Staging the Nation: Art in East Asia"

Inhye Kang inkang at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 09:08:32 EDT 2009

"Staging the Nation: Art in East Asia"  - Seeking panelists for 2010 AAS:
 We are hoping to organize a panel on art and its role in nation-building in
the countries of East Asia, including topics related to state-sponsored
artistic/cultural production or engagement of national institution,
primarily covering the period from 1900-1980. Related topics might also
include, but are not limited to the following issues/themes:
collections/displays in museums/exhibitions in the service of national
(re)construction; the writing of history as it relates to nation building;
music/film industry's contribution to promoting and fostering
nation-building.  We are seeking panelists particularly in the areas of art
history, history, anthropology, film and media studies, cultural studies,
and other related disciplines.  If you are interested, please send your
abstract (up to 200 words) to us by August 2nd : inkang at gmail.com or vhmoo
n at gmail.com