[KS] Query: soft-masculinity and cross-dressing in Korean context

koreana acta actakoreana at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 00:19:57 EDT 2009

Dear Yun Mi Hwang,

Cross-dressing has been seen in Korean drama.

Actresses, whose *yosong kukguk* (female drama troupe) was popular in the
1940s, used to take male parts wearing mens costumes.

Earlier example of cross-dressing is found in *Kwanghallu akpu*, which was
written in Chinese by Yun, Talson in the latter part of the 19th century. A
verse of the poem narrates that the actor's appearance, who are dressed in
Ch'unhyang (the heroin of the Song of Ch'unhang), is awkward.
Yeonok Jang