[KS] The young Kim Song-hwan's war sketches from 1950; Andrew Salmon's new book

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 02:30:46 EDT 2009

Dear friends and colleagues,

On this sombre anniversary, the below from Andrew  Salmon
in Seoul may be of interest.

His JoongAng Ilbo article can be read at
_http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2906541_
(http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2906541)

But I can't in fact find Kim Song-hwan's sketches  there,
so the full gallery on Andrew's website is all the more  valuable:

_http://tothelastround.wordpress.com/watercolourist-at-war/_
(http://tothelastround.wordpress.com/watercolourist-at-war/)

The website also gives full details of Andrew's new book,
published by Aurum Press in April.

Best wishes
Aidan

Aidan Foster-Carter
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology  & Modern Korea, Leeds
University
Flat 1, 40 Magdalen Road, Exeter, EX2 4TE,  UK
T:  (+44, no 0)    07970  741307 (mobile);   01392 257753   (home)
E: _afostercarter at aol.com_ (mailto:afostercarter at aol.com)    W:
_www.aidanfc.net_ (http://www.aidanfc.net/)   Skype: Aidan.Foster.Carter

_________________________

Did a piece today for Joongang on the work of Kim Sung-hwan (pen name:
"Gobau") who is Korea's most famed living cartoonist, who got his start as  a
war artist in the Korean War. The Joongang could only include 6 of his
pieces on the page, but Gobau has given me permission to post 25 of his 1950
watercolour sketches.

Being a civilian in the Seoul area, he got a close up look at both the
Norks, and the Yanks. Gobau's work is the finest visual representation of that
tumultuous summer that I know of. Click here for the image gallery (with
quotes  by Gobau and commentary by yours truly):
_http://tothelastround.wordpress.com/watercolourist-at-war/_
(http://tothelastround.wordpress.com/watercolourist-at-war/)

Andrew Salmon
Seoul