[KS] Romanization

Charles Muller cmuller-lst at jj.em-net.ne.jp
Tue Jun 30 00:57:22 EDT 2009

Much thanks to Gari for all of his well-conceived and well-articulated
comments. I have already written to both the Korea Times and the
Ministry of Culture expressing similar sentiments.

Aside from the matter of relative strong or weak points of any given
romanization system, there is no doubt that any significant
backtracking at this point will virtually destroy any chances
whatsoever of gaining the support of non-Korean academics in the
future for any subsequent attempts at promulgating a new system.

Aside from my personal preferences for being able to do
non-diacritical keyboard input a decade ago, I was approached early on
by a few of the people in Korea who were developing/promoting the new
system about using it in my online web resources, and in response
invested a fair amount of time and energy in supporting the system
that way.

If the kind of radical move suggested by the Korea Times article is
taken, you can be sure that I will never, ever, support any kind of
new system that might be proposed, and I am sure that many who have
supported it will feel the same way.

Can't say I wasn't warned, though.

Regards,

Chuck

-------------------

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
Akamon kenkyū tō #722
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-0033, Japan