[KS] South Korea's Rollback of Democratic Rights

J.Scott Burgeson jsburgeson at yahoo.com
Sun May 10 04:40:31 EDT 2009

I find Frank's invocation of such terms as "colonial discourse" in dismissing my observations on recent progressive South Korean protest culture an interesting case of cultural relativism, which itself seems to rest on some sort of essentialized notion of Korean culture. How long must one live within another culture before one is allowed to have an "autonomous" voice that is able to engage within local discourses and debates? Doesn't the South Korean government itself claim to welcome the development of contemporary South Korea as a "multicultural society"? Does this only apply to Vietnamese brides imported to the countryside? If one is a "white American male" who has lived in Korea for 15 or 30 years, does a different set of standards apply when defining what "multicultural Korea" means? Well, let's turn the tables around and ask if a "South Korean male" who has lived in the US for 15 or 30 years is also to be denied a voice there for the very same
 reasons? Surely that would be an absurd argument. Surely everyone has a right to have their voice respected as an equal, if one has chosen to live and work within another society for any significant period of time -- or even for just a relatively short time as far as many would be concerned.

In any case, I understand why certain Western intellectuals would be disposed to defend last year's protests here, and even serve as apologists for them in extreme cases, but I wonder how useful or productive such an approach really is. In order for South Korea's progressive social movements to advance forward and further develop here, surely they should welcome debate from all sides and address inconsistencies were they are pointed out. For example, a central trope of the protesters was to safeguard "democracy" and "freedom of speech," and yet those with differing viewpoints were often silenced either verbally or physically by these same progressive groups. (Indeed, death threats were even made against businesses who dared to advertise in the local so-called conservative media.) Meanwhile, Lee Myung-bak was repeatedly attacked by the protesters for being "deceptive" and "dishonest," and yet the protesters often had a difficult time living up to their
 own standards of honesty and truthfulness.

As for the issue of "police brutality," the main reason I think it is important to critique that aspect of last year's (and this year's) protests is because I consider it to be a huge distraction, quite apart from it being a largely fake, manufactured controversy. Last year's protests became so focused on the issue of "police violence" that I feel they lost focus and dissipated the energy of their movement, energy which could have been used in more positive, productive ways. Much like the Republicans in the US in recent years, the lasting message of last year's protests here was a rather reactionary and not terribly inspiring "no." "No" to US beef, "no" to Lee Myung-bak, "no" to the terrible police. The leaders of last summer's protests failed to articulate a stronger and more positive message of how they think they could better lead society, in part because they were so focused on the trope of "police violence" and exploiting it for all it was worth. In
 short, they squandered a great opportunity that I doubt will come round again in the near future. Of course, I could be mistaken, but at this point I doubt I'd be inspired to join in either way.

--J. Scott Burgeson, Chongno