[KS] South Korea's Rollback of Democratic Rights

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at ikos.uio.no
Sun May 10 07:03:03 EDT 2009

I was myself a sort of observer-participant in an anti-beef demo in July
last year, while majority of my Korean friends participated for
sustained periods of time. One thing I really was impressed was the
degree to which the absolute majority of the demonstrators were acutely
aware of the detrimental character of the anti-police violence above the
level of simple self-defense. Almost every time somebody tried, for
example, to beat up an isolated riot policeman, it usually was stopped
by loud cries of "Pip'ongnyOk!" (Non-violence!) from all the sides. Of
course, it was impossible to prevent all the sad incidents of wanton
physical violence against the conscripted policemen, but prevention of
violence was clearly on the demonstrators' agenda, and this alone makes
a qualitative break with the late 1980s situation, when the policemen
were seen more like an enemy force. In more general way, we can
understand this development as a part of the long process of
"de-violentization" of the society which, up to the late 1990s could be
justly labeled as hypermasculine and overmilitarized. What is
interesting is the fact that the physical violence remains relatively
widespread exactly inside the riot police units - on a level
incomparable with the the society in general, and much worse than in the
other conscript-staffed units in the military etc.

Vladimir (Noja)

--
Vladimir Tikhonov,
Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages,

http://www.geocities.com/volodyatikhonov/volodyatikhonov.html
Electronic classrooms: East Asian/Korean Society and Politics:
                        http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/eastasianstudies.htm
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2002/main.html
                        East Asian/Korean Religion and Philosophy:

http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2003/classroom.html