[KS] Roh Moo Hyun commits suicide

Henny Savenije webmaster at henny-savenije.pe.kr
Sat May 23 02:25:18 EDT 2009

This is what I just took from Ohmynews

In the early hours of Saturday morning, former president of South
Korea, Roh Moo-hyun, fell to his death from a mountain cliff near his
home in Gimhae, in the south of the country.

Roh, 62, had gone for a hike after having left a short note for his
family. An aide to the former president has said that Roh committed suicide.

Roh was South Korea's 16th president and came to power in 2003 on a
campaign of clean politics. However, in recent weeks Roh and his
family have been in the spotlight amid allegations of corruption,
including bribes totally $6 million from businessmen while president.

On his Web site last month, the president apologied to South Koreans,
saying in part: "I no longer symbolize the values that you pursue."
And in a televised press conference, Roh admitted he had disappointed
the nation.

"You should discard me," Roh wrote in his last posting to his Web site.

Part of Roh's suicide note reads: "The rest of my life may be a
burden to others. Because I am not healthy, I cannot do anything. I
cannot read books, cannot write. Don't be sad. Aren't life and death
one in the same?"

                  _   _
                 (o) (o)
      oOOO----(_)----OOOo---
Henny (Lee Hae Kang)
-----------------------------
http://www.henny-savenije.pe.kr Portal to all my sites
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Feel free
to discover Korea with Hendrick Hamel (1653-1666)
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/indexk2.htm In Korean
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/Dutch In Dutch
http://www.vos.henny-savenije.pe.kr Frits Vos Article about Witsen
and Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch dictionary
http://www.cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Korea
through Western Cartographic eyes
http://www.hwasong.henny-savenije.pe.kr Hwasong the fortress in Suwon
http://www.oldKorea.henny-savenije.pe.kr Old Korea in pictures