[KS] FW: South Korea's Rollback of Democratic Rights

don kirk kirkdon at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 17:46:34 EDT 2009

There seems to be some misunderstanding here about the violence seen in last summer's anti-U.S.-beef demos. The violence did not occur in front of City Hall. Nor did it happen when the demonstrators there marched up Sejong-ro toward Kwangwhamun. Nor did it generally happen until quite late, after 10 p.m. and sometimes much later, peaking after midnight when the vast majority of demonstrators were safely on the last buses and subways home. The violence as I saw it was perpetrated by a small, perhaps tiny but still significant, minority as they surged against the rows of police buses straddling Sejong Ro at Kwangwhamun. The writer of the post to which I'm responding notes that he was there in June. It was after June that the violence, late at night, got progressively worse.
Broadening a little, the writer puts down the LMB government as if it somehow gained power despite the wishes of most people. In fact, he was elected in an embarrassingly wide landslide in December 2007 in reaction against the policies, mostly to do with the economy, of the previous government. Now LMB is running into his own "popularity" problems, again a lot to do with the economy. The forces ranged against him generally supported his opponent in 2007 and have never accepted the fact that their candidate lost soundly. (He just got elected to the Assembly, incidentally, running as an independent after his former party refused to put him on the slate.)
It seems to me we as foreigners are on shaky ground when we try to align with one side or the other in these confrontations. None of us really appreciates fully the social, regional and economic issues though some of us may think we do.The fact that none of these issues has come up in these posts speaks volumes about our incomprehension. Also lost is the fragility of the issue around which the demonstrators rallied -- the risks of imported U.S. beef. It's coming in to Korea now, available at lower prices than Korean beef. Pray that "Mad Cow disease" never happens here. (You DO remember that was what the protest was allegedly about, do you not?)
Donald Kirk